An Everlasting Summer

It was the end summer 2016, and I was in a city called Cologne, the largest city in North-Rhine-Westphalia. I was traveling with a friend, a photo-and videographer who'd been coming to Germany to pursue a study in mechanical engineering. We arrived in Cologne Hauptbahnhof (Central Station), grabbed a quick breakfast on the go, put our luggage in luggage storage (with awesome system), and go out from the central station.

Why go?

That Cologne Cathedral appeared like magic while I was walking outside the central station. It is impossible not to like this building. I spent my first 10 minutes stood there admiring what I saw there. We walked the steps, and then through the doorway, which leads to the left side of the church.


Cologne Cathedral from outside



The Bronze Altar



Cathedral Window

It is said that the cathedral first built in 1248 and miraculously survived the World War eventhough badly damaged. The cathedral was built really well. I love its bronze big altar and impressive mosaics in each window make such a perfect shiny light when I stare at them.



Top of the South Tower


South Tower


The View from the Observation Deck

Savvy loves ... More than anything, though, I love its observation deck. I can look outside and see cologne from the top! I have to admit, I adored what I found. It's like travelling the time sitting in the cathedral with its ancient gothic ceiling, but when I see cologne from the observation deck, I can see the modern buildings from top.

On that three days visit, I fell in love with Cologne. Though it is smaller than Berlin, it was not hard to feel at home there. I was intrigued by its architecture, which has a mixture of modern, gothic, and neo-roman charm. I looked around the church, capturing the view, the people, the feeling of being here. That escape was just perfect as a summer 2016 closing, I want to freeze this moment in time forever and making it an everlasting summer!


0 comments:

Post a Comment