Where Dreams Live and Hopes are Born

It was a hot summer day in July when I walked in Hackescher Markt area with the heat and sunlight. The sun was blinding, and I suddenly heard the church bells chimming. Interested with the bell, I walked near the church and pushed the giant door of the church.

Nothing is small about Berlin.There is Berlin Cathedral, its pillars, its domes, its statues, which the first time I see it, I am feeling small. Now, it is exciting. My heart was already going like the clappers.



Why go?

Berlin Cathedral is the largest church in Berlin, stands in Museum Island, with neo-baroque art. It is more than 100 years old already. Berlin cathedral was built as a protestant counterweight to the St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. By the way, actually it is not really a cathedral, because it has never been the seat for Bishop. But people call it cathedral anyway.

The Top of the Dome

The Altar

I always admire the top of the dome and don't mind staying there one hour just to enjoy the mosaics. Flooded with light, the dove on the top of the dome represents the presence of the Holy Spirit and the mosaics portray the beatitudes from the Sermon on the Mount. The altar is made of white marble and onyx. Arriving at the Berlin Cathedral, I'd quickly decided that this last minute thinking had been a right decission. It is like stepping into another world, heaven!




Four Evangelists


Finally, I also found really gorgeous paintings.There are four paintings on the side of the dome dedicated for four Evangelists : Matthew, Mark, John, and Luke. The writings on the wall are magical too, in gold, framed by beautiful sculptures. They are taken from the Bible and seemingly everywhere, bring hopes to everyone visiting the cathedral.



Savvy tip ... Visit the crypt then take a chance to climb 270 steps to the observation deck, and you will be rewarded with a fascinating view of Berlin city!

With calm and peaceful heart, I am pleased to report, it is one of my favorite place in Berlin. Because I can have both: a place that is not only my eyes can enjoy, but also my soul. A place where dreams live and hopes are born.

0 comments:

Post a Comment