Russian Chapel - Mathildenhöhe

As I mentioned before in my last post, I have moved to Darmstadt since October due to internship. It is a quite small city compared to Berlin and Frankfurt. But the good thing is, you can go everywhere with bike even in autumn because here is warmer than Berlin. I like to go everywhere with my bike, because since I moved here I don't do yoga, pilates, or body balance anymore. So I am not feeling bad because at least I do a bit sport :D

Russian Chapel Darmstadt (front)
Why go?

Russian Chapel is a wonderful place to start the journey in Darmstadt. It is in Mathildenhöhe, an art scene, where the artists live, with backdrops of parks in the hill. Surprisingly, this Russian Chapel stands there way long before the artists come to that area and built colony.

Russian Chapel Darmstadt (behind)


The Chapel was made in 1897-1899 by Leontij Nikolavic Benois on behalf of Russian Czar Nikolaus II and his wife Alexandra. Alexandra come originaly from Darmstadt. Nikolaus II built it because he wanted to be able to worship in orthodox church when visiting his in law. This chapel is still used until now.





Russian Chapel Darmstadt



PS: Pardon the poor quality of the images. I left my camera in Berlin so I took them with phone





0 comments:

Post a Comment